Impact Podcast: Encouraging Women and Girls Into Team Sports – Alicia Lui
“For children in Hong Kong, sports are pretty low priority.”
Growing up, Alicia Lui was encouraged in her schoolwork and extracurricular activities but discouraged from any sports that might make her calves big or were otherwise considered too unfeminine. #impact Podcast co-host Amanda Williams met up with Alicia to hear her story.
Recent surveys of young Hong Kongers by Women in Sports Empowered HK (WISE HK), the not-for-profit she founded in 2017, shows that not much has changed in traditional attitudes and family influences. It’s WISE’s mission to change that and help every woman and girl find their sport.
In this episode, you will learn
- The value of team sports in girls’ development and in women’s sense of community
- How to get involved in team sports
- How you can question traditional mores when you have a clear purpose
- The lessons from the field or pitch or court that can that be brought back into the workplace
- Why women are often less willing to captain a sports team